Vanilla extract is essential to all baking recipes and many desserts, especially around the holiday season. But to get your hands on a quality batch will cost at least $10 ( I like Nielson-Massey). I finally decided to get off my lazy butt and make my own, which you literally can just keep adding to, having vanilla extract FOREVER.
Pretty cool, huh? Photos and the recipe after the jump.
Recipe: Leena’s homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of hard liquor, whisky or vodka
- 3 vanilla beans, split almost completely in half
- 1 glass jar with tight lid
- Combine the two ingredients in the jar, and place lid on tightly.
- Store in a dark place for at least two months, or as long as forever. As the liquid drops down, you can add more vanilla and more liquor to keep it going.
Microformatting by hRecipe.